Member Highlight: Let’s Talk Science
January 19, 2023
This month’s Member Highlight is about Let’s Talk Science, who developed a Green Team to support their sustainability initiatives.
Let’s Talk Science is a national charitable organization committed to preparing youth for evolving career and citizenship demands in a rapidly changing world. Our goal is to positively impact every child in Canada, from early years through secondary school. We do this primarily by providing programs and resources for educators that help them improve youth education and engagement in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
They established their Green Team just over a year ago and its 10 committed, passionate staff have come together to develop a strategy to lessen the company’s environmental impact and promote sustainable practices. Sustainable Development Goals 6 (Clean water and sanitation), 12 (Responsible consumption and production), and 13 (Climate action) are all addressed in the three-year plan’s suggestions for the organization. The Green Plan encourages Let’s Talk Sciences staff to think about low-impact alternatives, modify their habitats, set goals for their activities, and fully embrace environmental sustainability.
Let’s Talk Science’s Green Team completed the following actions in 2021-2022:
- Set baseline values for GHG emissions for energy and gas
- Improved staff education and awareness of their environmental impact
- Monthly Green Team quick facts implemented
- Developed a document on greenwashing
- Hosted green and vegetarian/vegan cooking demonstrations
- Provided a space internally online to allow for discussions surrounding green actions
- Developed a Sustainability Criteria Flow Chart for procurement and provided training on its use.
- Changed procurement choices several kits and other Let’s Talk Science purchasing based on the procurement flow chart
- Developed travel guidelines and a sustainable travel tool to decrease scope 3 emissions while also encouraging the use of virtual options
- Created a series of recommendations to reduce environmental impact and guide the integration of environmental sustainability relating to:
- Improved governance
- Water conservation
- Waste reduction
- Climate action
- Shipping and logistics
Hear from the Let’s Talk Science team:
“It is important to embed sustainable thinking across Let’s Talk Science. We are working to improve the environmental footprint of our operations, setting a positive example as we inspire students to take climate action.” – Dr. Bonnie Schmidt, President and Founder.
“Let’s Talk Science is committed to sustainability. Through our operations and as a component of our education programming, we aim to reduce the organization’s environmental impact by assessing choices, diverting waste and building sustainable practices.” – Cailin Clarke, Vice President, Operations.
Read all about Let’s Talk Science’s commitment to continuous improvement in sustainability here.
Want to hear more about what’s going on with Green Economy London? Subscribe to our quarterly mailing list!
Be in the know for all things related to business sustainability. Sign up to receive quarterly updates from Green Economy London. Your information will not be shared.
Click here to find out more about our services, or contact us to arrange a personal meeting and learn more about how we can help you!